Skip to content

F-1 Internships & Off-Campus Employment

Optional Practical Training (OPT) for students with F-1 Visas

OPT is defined as temporary employment for practical training directly related to your major area of study. There are 3 types of OPT:

  • Pre-completion OPT (standard OPT)
  • Post-completion OPT (standard OPT)
  • 24-month extensions of post-completion OPT for certain science, technology, engineering or mathematics (STEM) degree holders. (24-month STEM OPT Extension)  


Standard OPT Eligibility Requirements for both pre and post-completion OPT:

  • You must have been enrolled as a full-time student for at least one academic year.
  •  Employment must be directly related to your area of study
  • No offer of employment is required, but you are expected to work or actively look for a job after you receive your Employment Authorization Document (EAD).
  • You cannot begin working until you receive your EAD card from USCIS and the start date has been reached.
  • You are ineligible for OPT if you have already done an aggregate of 12 months or more of full-time CPT at the same educational level (part-time CPT does not count for ineligibility).  


Standard Pre-Completion OPT (before you graduate):

  • Must maintain a full course of study during the period of employment (except during school breaks)
  • Limited to 20 hours per week while school is in session (can apply to work full-time during official school breaks)
  • Recommended to obtain a job offer before submitting OPT application  


Standard Post-Completion OPT (after you graduate):

  • Employment must be full-time
  • You can be unemployed for a maximum of 90 days during the standard 12-month OPT period.  If you exceed 90 days of unemployment, you will be out of status.   


Standard OPT Application Steps:

  1. Apply for OPT recommendation from CGE.
    • Attend OPT workshop (CGE offers 1 OPT workshop each semester).
    • Submit Edgewood College OPT Application to the CGE.
    • Sara will review application, determine eligibility, and make appropriate recommendation in SEVIS.
  2. File application materials with the appropriate USCIS Lockbox.
    • Carefully review CGE’s detailed instructions with detailed instructions for submitting your materials to USCIS.
    • Meet with Sara to pick-up new I-20 and review USCIS application materials.
    • Mail all OPT application materials to the USCIS Phoenix Lockbox.

Note: USCIS Lockbox Facility must receive your application no later than 30 days after Sara makes the OPT recommendation in SEVIS.


Standard OPT Application Deadlines

Pre-Completion OPT

  • You can apply up to 90 days before the end of your 2nd semester studying at Edgewood.  *Employment cannot begin prior to completion of a full academic year*
  • Students who have already completed a full academic year may apply up to 120 days before the requested employment start date.

Post-Completion OPT

  • Can apply up to 90 days before program end date on your I-20 & up to 60 days after program end date.
  • USCIS Lockbox must receive your application no later than 30 days after Sara makes the OPT recommendation in SEVIS.


Additional Important Information Regarding OPT


Health Insurance

Students on approved OPT are eligible to maintain enrollment in Edgewood’s international student health insurance policy. Students must submit an enrollment form to the CGE before the OPT start date and before their current health insurance coverage ends. Edgewood’s health insurance coverage ends on December 31 for students graduating in December and on July 31 for students graduating in May.


EAD (Employment Authorization Document)

Send CGE a copy of the front and back of your EAD as soon as you receive it!


Travel Issues

Before completing your studies, you may continue to travel internationally with a valid travel endorsement on your I-20. Departing the US after completing your studies but before you receive your EAD is NOT recommended. If you choose to travel, you must carry your Receipt Notice from the Service Center proving that your application for OPT is pending. CGE will only endorse your I-20 after completion of studies if you provide a photocopy of your Receipt Notice. After completing your studies and once you have received the EAD granting your OPT work permission, you must obtain a travel endorsement from CGE for re-entry into the US. You must provide a photocopy of your EAD in order to obtain the travel endorsement. Travel endorsements while on OPT are only valid for six months from the date of signature. In addition to the travel-endorsed I-20, you will need a valid passport, F-1 visa stamp, and EAD for re-entry into the US. Proof of employment is now highly recommended; re-entry into the US without this could be difficult.


Updates You Are Required to Provide to CGE While on OPT

You must update CGE regarding the information listed below. Failure to do so is a violation of your F-1 status.

  1. Name Change: Inform CGE if your name changes (i.e., you change your name in your passport)
  2. Address Change: Inform CGE of changes in either your US residential or foreign addresses within 10 days of moving
  3. Employment: Inform CGE of the name and address of your employer. Inform CGE of changes in your employment status within 10 days of the change (end of employment; start of new job, etc.) See handout “Employment Reporting Requirements During Post-Completion OPT.”

*You cannot be unemployed for more than 90 days!*


Resuming Study

If you plan to resume studies during the period your EAD card is valid, please consult CGE regarding this process. If you plan to attend a different educational institution and you would like your SEVIS record transferred, please complete the SEVIS Record Release form (available online in the International Student Handbook). Expiry of EAD You have a 60-day grace period in which to depart the U.S. or start another educational program after your postcompletion OPT. If you are not leaving U.S. by the end of the grace period, you should have applied to obtain an alternate status by the end of your grace period. 

STEM OPT Extension

Eligible F-1 nonimmigrant students with STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) degrees may apply for a 24-month STEM OPT extension.  For information, visit the STEM OPT Hub on the Study in the States website at After reviewing the information online, contact Sara Friar if you are interested or have questions.

Curricular Practical Training for Students with F-1 Visas

If your academic major or a course in which you are enrolled requires that you complete an internship (paid or unpaid), practicum, work, or training off campus, you can apply for a special work permission called Curricular Practical Training (CPT).

Eligibility Requirements:

  • You are in valid F-1 status.
  • You have been enrolled as a full-time student for at least one academic year.
  • Training or work done during CPT must be directly related to your academic major.
  • Participation in CPT can only occur before degree completion.
  • One of the following:
    • An academic internship or practicum is required of all students in your program in order to graduate.
    • An academic internship or practicum is an elective option in your program, the academic department has a specific course designed for this purpose, and you are enrolled in the internship course.
    • Work experience gained from an internship is integral to your thesis or dissertation research and you are registered for the appropriate thesis/dissertation research course.

How does CPT affect eligibility for OPT?

  • If you are authorized for 1 year or more of full-time CPT, you lose your eligibility for Optional Practical Training (OPT).
  • Part-time CPT and full-time CPT for less than 1 year do not affect your eligibility for OPT.

See the Curricular Practical Training Application for complete details.

F-1 Student Employment based on Severe Economic Hardship

This off-campus employment opportunity is intended to address situations in which a financial need beyond your control arises, which was unforeseen at the time you applied to Edgewood. Since one condition of approval for an F-1 student visa is proof of your ability to pay for your education and living expenses in the U.S., this economic hardship must be the result of a recent, unexpected change in your financial situation.

Examples of unforeseen economic hardship include: loss of financial aid or on-campus employment without fault on the part of the student, substantial fluctuations in the value of currency or exchange rate, inordinate increases in tuition and/or living costs, unexpected changes in the financial condition of the student's source of support, medical bills, or other substantial and unexpected expenses.


To be eligible to apply for economic hardship employment, you must meet the following conditions:

  • You have been in F-1 status for at least one full academic year.
  • You can provide written documentation that employment is necessary due to severe economic hardship caused by circumstances beyond your control that arose after obtaining F-1 status.
  • You must be able to maintain your F-1 status (including enrollment as a full-time student) while you engage in economic hardship employment.
  • You do not need to have a job offer to apply for economic hardship employment.


Conditions of Employment:

  • Must apply for an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) from USCIS and receive the EAD BEFORE employment begins.
  • You can work in any type of job; it does not have to be related to your course of study.
  • You can work a maximum of 20 hours per week while school is in session and full-time during official school breaks.
  • USCIS grants this type of employment in increments of one year at a time.  You must reapply to USCIS each year to renew this work authorization.
  • If you transfer to another school, the employment authorization ends.


Application Process:

  1. Submit the Edgewood College Severe Economic Hardship Employment Application to the Center for Global Education.
    • You need to receive approval from the Center for Global Education before submitting materials to USCIS.  You may need to schedule an individual appointment with Sara to discuss your situation.  Upon approval, Sara will print a new I-20 that indicates your recommendation for economic hardship.
  2. Submit to USCIS the following documentation:
    • Written statement describing the unforeseen hardship situation and, if possible, attach backup documentation; for example, a letter from home telling of a change in family circumstances or proof of a currency devaluation in your home country.
    • Written statement explaining why other employment options are unavailable or insufficient (a simple statement might suffice);
    • Completed Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization, using the code: (c)(3)(iii) at item 16.
    • Provide a check or money order for the I-765 fee.
    • 2 photos (see "Photo guidelines for visas and immigration benefits")
    • Copy of Form I-20 issued with DSO recommendation for economic hardship employment
    • Copy of your I-94, front and back
    • Copy of the ID pages from your passport

Mail your completed application and supporting documentation to:

If using the U.S. Postal Service:
Nebraska Service Center
P.O. Box 87765
Lincoln, NE 68501-7765                             

If using a private courier such as FedEx:

Nebraska Service Center
850 S. Street
Lincoln, NE 68508-1225

*It is strongly recommended to meet with Sara to review your application materials BEFORE you mail them to USCIS. *

*Always check the USCIS website for current I-765 fees and processing times.

If USCIS approves your application and authorizes employment, they will issue an EAD. If USCIS denies your application, they will indicate the reason for the denial in writing.
A denial may not be appealed, although if the circumstances warrant, a motion to
reopen or reconsider could be filed.

What's Happening


March 12-16 (CGE Open)

Spring Break

March 23

Summmer 2018 Study Abroad Application Deadline / FLP Summer 2018 Form Deadline

March 30 - April 2 (CGE Closed)

Easter Holiday 

April 6

Faculty-Led Program and Scholarship Deadline for Fall 2018 / Winter 2019 Travel (Costa Rica, El Salvador, Cambodia, St. Lucia)

April 13

Pre-Departure Orientation Session 1 (Summer and Fall 2018, Year 2018-2019)

April 20

Pre-Departure Orientation Session 2 (Summer and Fall 2018, Year 2018-2019)

April 27

Scholarship Application Deadline (Summer and Fall 2018, Year 2018-2019) 
Spring 2019 Program and Scholarship Application Deadline
Semester Form Deadline  (Summer and Fall 2018, Year 2018-2019)

May 11

Last Day of Class

May 14-18

Final Exams

May 20


May 22 - August 10 (CGE Limited Summer Hours)

Summer Session
*4th of July - CGE Closed

August 15-17

New International Student Orientation 

August 22 4-5pm Nona McGreal

New International Student Welcome Reception

September 3 (CGE Closed)

Labor Day

September 12 11am-2pm Predolin Terrace 

Study Abroad Fair 

October 1-2  (CGE Open)

Fall Break 

October  12

Pre-Departure Orientation Session 1: Spring 2019 Students

October  19

Faculty-Led Program Form Deadline (Winter 2019 Travel)

October  26

Pre-Departure Orientation Session 2: Spring 2019 Students

November 2

Faculty-Led Program and Scholarship Application Deadline (Spring w/ Spring Break or Summer Travel 2019)
Study Abroad Form Deadline: Spring 2019 

November 5 -9 (Events Announced in Sept)

International Education Week 

November 22-25 (CGE Closed)

Thanksgiving Break

December 10-14

Final Exams

December 24 - Jan 1 (CGE Closed)

Christmas Holiday