Travel Outside the U.S.

If you plan to travel to a country other than your home country, make sure you have the necessary documents to enter the other country. Contact the consulate of that country in order to get information about visas and entry requirements documents.

If your U.S. student visa is expired or if you changed status while in the US, you will need to obtain a new visa at the US Embassy/Consulate in your country. Take with you all necessary documentation and allow plenty of time in your travel plans for obtaining the visa.

Prior to traveling outside of the U.S., Sara Friar, Co-Director of the Center for Global Education, needs to sign page 3 of your I-20 or page 1 of your DS-2019. This signature confirms to the inspectors at the border (when you re-enter the U.S.) that you have, in fact, been a student at Edgewood and are expected to return.

Follow the steps below no earlier than a month and no later than a week before your planned departure to request a signature on your I-20/DS-2019:

  1. Register for at least 12 undergraduate credits or 6 graduate credits for the upcoming semester (this is important if you are traveling between semesters).
  2.  Fill out the International Student Endorsement Request Form.
  3. Print a copy of your class schedule for the upcoming semester OR complete an Enrollment Verification Request/Release form from the Registrar’s Office (Check the line “Verification of upcoming semester registration”).
  4. Bring your I-20/DS-2019, the International Student Endorsement Request, and a copy of your class schedule for the upcoming semester (or for the current semester if you are traveling mid-semester).
  5. Sara will review your request and sign your I-20/DS-2019. You can pick up your signed I-20/DS-2019 in the CGE within two business days.

To re-enter the United States you must travel with:

  • A valid passport 
  • A valid F-1 or J-1 visa
  • Your original I-20 or DS-2019 from Edgewood College with a valid travel signature
  • For students on post-completion OPT:
    You should be returning the U.S. to resume employment and have a valid Employment Authorization Document with you.

It is recommended that you also travel with: 

  • Sara's contact information
  • Current financial support documents 
  • Copy of your class schedule for the upcoming semeste
  • I-90I SEVIS fees receipt
  • For students on OPT and AT:
    A letter from your employer verifying employment status.

Form I-94:
Students who arrive to the U.S. at an air or sea port of entry will be issued an electronic Form I-94 record to document your official arrival and departure in the U.S.  
It is a good practice to print your I-94 record after each entry to the U.S., both to check the accuracy of the record as well as to preserve the record of that particular arrival.

Travel to Canada, Mexico or one of the islands adjacent to the U.S. (except Cuba):
If you are in valid F-1 status, have a valid I-20, and a valid unexpired Form I-94, you can usually revalidate an expired visa automatically when returning from a visit of less than 30 days to Canada, Mexico, or one of the islands adjacent to the U.S. (other than Cuba).  

*Before traveling, review the U.S. Customs and Border Protection website for current entry requirements for international visitors.