J-1 On-Campus Employment

Students in valid J-1 status may work on campus up to 20 hours per week while classes are in session and up to 40 hours per week during official school breaks.

To get an on-campus job, follow these steps:

  1. Look for a job
    Search for an open position on the "On-Campus Jobs for Students" site. 
  2. Apply for a job.
    Submit an online application (link available at the end of each position description). There is a generic online application for all student employee positions, so it is recommended to also send an email to the contact person listed on the position description.  In the email you can explain why you are interested in the position and briefly describe any special skills and/or experience you have that make you a good candidate for the position.  If you have a resume, you can also include that in the email.  You may need to participate in an interview as part of the application process.
  3. Get hired for a position on campus & email the Office of Human Resources. 
    As soon as you have been hired for a position on campus, you should email Sherley Thao (SThao@edgewood.edu) in the Office of Human Resources.  Let them know the following information: your name, that you are a student in F-1 or J-1 status, and the name of the office where you will work.  Your email will prompt them to start processing your employment so that Sara can prepare information for you to apply for a Social Security number.
  4. Submit an Employment Authorization Request Form to the Center for Global Education.
    This employment authorization is valid for a maximum of 12 months.  J-1 students must complete an Employment Authorization Form each academic year if they wish to continue student employment (even if you keep the same job from year to year, you still need to submit a new form each year).

    *ISEP exchange students need to complete the ISEP Employment Authorization Request Form and submit it to Sara Friar in the Center for Global Education.  ISEP students must wait until ISEP authorizes employment to apply for a Social Security number. This may take approximately 1 week, so please tell your new supervisor that you will not be able to start working for 1-2 weeks. 
  5. Apply for a Social Security Number.
    After your new work supervisor has completed the required authorization, Sara Friar will prepare a letter that you will need to apply for a Social Security number (SSN). (You must apply for a SSN before you begin working).
    A CGE staff member will send an email to notify you that your letter is ready for pick-up. When you pick up your letter, you will also receive complete instructions on how to apply for a Social Security Card.
  6. Submit completed employment paperwork to Edgewood Central (DeRicci 210) before your first day of employment.
    You will receive a receipt from the Social Security Administration at the time of application.  Take the receipt to the Office of Human Resources at Edgewood College (De Ricci 215).  
    Approximately 10 business days from the day you applied for a Social Security number, you will receive your Social Security card. Take a copy of the card to Edgewood Central.
  7. Open a U.S. bank account.
    All students who work on campus will receive their paycheck through an electronic direct deposit into a U.S. bank account.  For more information about opening a bank account in Madison, go to the “Money and Banking” section of this website.
  8. Now you can begin working!
    For additional resources about on-campus employment, visit the Student Employment website or contact Sherley Thao (sthao@edgewood.edu) or 608-663-3317.