Extend or Shorten Your Program

Extend Your Program

A student with an F-1/J-1 visa who is currently maintaining status and making normal progress toward completing his or her educational objective, but who is unable to complete his or her course of study by the program end date on the Form I-20/DS-2019, must apply for a program extension.

  • Submit an application to the Center for Global Education at least two weeks prior to the program end date listed on your current I-20/DS-2019
  • Delays caused by academic probation/suspension are NOT acceptable reasons for program extensions.
  • The maximum amount of time that you can extend your program is 12 months from the current program end date listed on your I-20. If you will need more than a 12-month extension to complete your program, you will need to submit two extension applications: one now and another in about 9 months.

Shorten Your Program

If you will finish your academic program before the end date listed on your current I-20 or DS-2019, you should submit an Application to Shorten Program to the Center for Global Education at least two months before you complete your program.  When the application is approved, Sara will print a new I-20 or DS-2019 for you with updated program dates.


What's Happening

Pre-Departure Orientation Session 1: Spring 2019 Students

November 1

Faculty-Led Program and Scholarship Application Deadline (Spring w/ Spring Break or Summer Travel 2019)
Study Abroad Form Deadline: Spring 2019 

November  2

Pre-Departure Orientation Session 2: Spring 2019 Students

November 5 -9 (Events Announced in Sept)

International Education Week 

November 22-25 (CGE Closed)

Thanksgiving Break

December 10-14

Final Exams

December 24 - Jan 1 (CGE Closed)

Final Exams

January 25 

CGE Study Abroad Program Application Deadline: Fall 2019 and Academic Year 19-20