Skip to content

F-1 On-Campus Employment

Students in valid F-1 status may work on campus up to 20 hours per week while classes are in session and up to 40 hours per week during official school breaks.

To get an on-campus job, follow these steps:

  1. Look for a job
    Search for an open position on the “On-Campus Jobs for Students” site
  2. Apply for a job
    Submit an online application (link available at the end of each position description). There is a generic online application for all student employee positions, so it is recommended to also send an email to the contact person listed on the position description. In the email you can explain why you are interested in the position and briefly describe any special skills and/or experience you have that make you a good candidate for the position. If you have a resume, you can also include that in the email. You may need to participate in an interview as part of the application process.
  3. Get hired for a position on campus & email the Office of Human Resources.
    As soon as you have been hired for a position on campus, you should email Sherley Thao ( in the Office of Human Resources. Let them know the following information: your name, that you are a student in F-1 or J-1 status, and the name of the office where you will work. Your email will prompt them to start processing your employment so that Sara can prepare information for you to apply for a Social Security number.
  4. Apply for a Social Security Number
    After your new work supervisor has completed the required authorization, Sara Friar will prepare a letter that you will need to apply for a Social Security number (SSN). (You must apply for a SSN before you begin working).
    A CGE staff member will send an email to notify you that your letter is ready for pick-up. When you pick up your letter, you will also receive complete instructions on how to apply for a Social Security Card.

  5. Submit completed employment paperwork to Edgewood Central (DeRicci 210) before your first day of employment
    You will receive a receipt from the Social Security Administration at the time of application. Take the receipt to the Office of Human Resources at Edgewood College (De Ricci 215).
    Approximately 10 business days from the day you applied for a Social Security number, you will receive your Social Security card. Take a copy of the card to Edgewood Central.

  6. Open a U.S. bank account
    All students who work on campus will receive their paycheck through an electronic direct deposit into a U.S. bank account. For more information about opening a bank account in Madison, go to the “Money and Banking” section of this website.
  7. Now you can begin working!

For additional resources about on-campus employment, visit the Student Employment websiteor contact Sherley Thao, Human Resources Specialist/Employment, at or 608-663-2852

What's Happening


March 12-16 (CGE Open)

Spring Break

March 23

Summmer 2018 Study Abroad Application Deadline / FLP Summer 2018 Form Deadline

March 30 - April 2 (CGE Closed)

Easter Holiday 

April 6

Faculty-Led Program and Scholarship Deadline for Fall 2018 / Winter 2019 Travel (Costa Rica, El Salvador, Cambodia, St. Lucia)

April 13

Pre-Departure Orientation Session 1 (Summer and Fall 2018, Year 2018-2019)

April 20

Pre-Departure Orientation Session 2 (Summer and Fall 2018, Year 2018-2019)

April 27

Scholarship Application Deadline (Summer and Fall 2018, Year 2018-2019) 
Spring 2019 Program and Scholarship Application Deadline
Semester Form Deadline  (Summer and Fall 2018, Year 2018-2019)

May 11

Last Day of Class

May 14-18

Final Exams

May 20


May 22 - August 10 (CGE Limited Summer Hours)

Summer Session
*4th of July - CGE Closed

August 15-17

New International Student Orientation 

August 22 4-5pm Nona McGreal

New International Student Welcome Reception

September 3 (CGE Closed)

Labor Day

September 12 11am-2pm Predolin Terrace 

Study Abroad Fair 

October 1-2  (CGE Open)

Fall Break 

October  12

Pre-Departure Orientation Session 1: Spring 2019 Students

October  19

Faculty-Led Program Form Deadline (Winter 2019 Travel)

October  26

Pre-Departure Orientation Session 2: Spring 2019 Students

November 2

Faculty-Led Program and Scholarship Application Deadline (Spring w/ Spring Break or Summer Travel 2019)
Study Abroad Form Deadline: Spring 2019 

November 5 -9 (Events Announced in Sept)

International Education Week 

November 22-25 (CGE Closed)

Thanksgiving Break

December 10-14

Final Exams

December 24 - Jan 1 (CGE Closed)

Christmas Holiday